Magnolia Essential Oil
About the plant
|Common Names||White champaca, White sandalwood, White jade orchid tree|
|Latin Name||Michelia × alba|
|Plant Detail||The white flowers bloom on the magnolia tree after 15 to 30 years|
About the Magnolia Essential Oil
|Inci Name||MICHELIA ALBA LEAF OIL|
|Essential Oil Name||Magnolia Essential Oil|
|Scent||Floral, fruity, musky|
|Extraction Method||Steam distillation (China)
Fractioned distillation (France)
Our expert Docteur Françoise Couic Marinier tells you all about essential oils.
Nearly 100 million years old, the power of the magnolia flower and its Essential Oil is still widely championed today in the health and skincare industry.
Read on for the 101 on Magnolia Essential Oil and how to incorporate it into your everyday routine.
What is Magnolia Essential Oil used for?
- Calming: Formulated from various compounds including beta-caryophyllene, Magnolia Oil possesses potent anti-inflammatory properties. When used on the skin, Magnolia Essential Oil helps to reduce redness, puffiness and leaves the appearance of skin more even and luminous.
- Replenishing: Magnolia Essential Oil is a nourishing tonic for the skin. As an excellent moisturizer, Magnolia Oil can help plump the appearance of skin and act as the ideal element to smooth the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
Go one step further and lock in moisture with the likes of Neroli Essential Oil for ultimate hydration.
Where does Magnolia Essential Oil come from?
Originating in ancient Asia and a staple in traditional Chinese medicine, prehistoric fossils have found that the magnolia flower dates back nearly 100 million years.
History of Magnolia Essential Oil
- New beginnings: The magnolia flower remains central to modern Southeast Asian culture, signifying birth and regeneration. In Indonesia, brides wear magnolia garlands as a sign of new beginnings.
- A myriad of benefits: The Essential Oil from the bark of the magnolia tree is just as rewarding as the flower, used by Chinese healers to promote energy circulation.
- The flower of progress: Through a process of steam distillation, Magnolia Essential Oil offers an powerful scent. The large white petals are particularly aromatic and are believed to inspire personal growth and renewal.
Facts about Magnolia Essential Oil
- The ultimate aroma: In order to achieve the full potency of Magnolia Essential Oil, the delicate flowers must be harvested in the dead of night when the aroma is at its peak and distilled immediately.
- An invigorating ingredient: Due to its fragrant and antibacterial properties, Magnolia Oil is often used as an additive in chewing gum and mints for a refreshing taste.
- Take a tip from traditional Chinese medicine and make Magnolia Essential Oil an integral part of your daily health and beauty rituals.