Lavender Essential Oil
About the plant
|Common Names||True lavender, English lavender, Garden lavender, Common lavender, Narrow-leaved lavender.|
|Latin Name||Lavandula angustifolia|
|Plant Detail||Lavender is a shrub that can reach 1 meter tall|
|Flowering Period||Blooming: April-May / Harvest: July-August||Native Region||South of France.|
About the Lavender Essential Oil
|Inci Name||LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA OIL|
|Essential Oil Name||Real lavender essential oil / Clonal lavender essential oil|
|Scent||citrus, astringent, fresh|
|Extraction Method||Steam Distillation|
|Production||Between 5 and 8.5 ML of lavender essential oil per KG of lavender*|
*Faucon, M. Traité d’aromathérapie scientifique et médicale : fondements & aide à la prescription. (Sang de la terre, 2015).
Our expert Docteur Françoise Couic Marinier tells you all about essential oils.
With its beautiful purple blossoms, powerful scent and extensive benefits, Lavender Essential Oil is highly prized within the world of aromatherapy.
Here’s all you need to know about Lavender Oil and how to incorporate it into your daily rituals for the ultimate skin rejuvenation, detox and mood booster.
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
- Antioxidant protection: Not only is Lavender Essential Oil packed full of antioxidants, its compounds also stimulate the activity of our body’s natural antioxidant processes. It provides an effective defense from the free radicals we encounter on a daily basis.
- Natural pain killer: With its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, Lavender Oil can aid in alleviating pain intensity.
- Mood booster: Lavender Essential Oil has documented benefits in lifting your mood, thanks to its ability to soothe and calm.
- Target breakouts: With its antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory qualities, Lavender Oil is one of the best Essential Oils to help fight breakouts, alongside Clary Sage Oil and Rosemary Oil.
What is Lavender Essential Oil used for?
- Regenerate: Lavender Essential Oil has been shown to improve blood circulation and promote a youthful complexion. As an essential ingredient to restore and maintain the epidermis, its toning effect can help fight signs of aging and leave your skin renewed.
- Detox: Rich in antioxidants, Lavender Essential Oil protects and promotes the skin’s natural barrier as well as drawing out toxins and balancing pH levels for the ultimate skin detox.
- Brighten: Thanks to its anti-inflammatory compounds, Lavender Oil can help improve tone, evenness and restore the skin’s natural luminosity.
For boosted results, look to Rose Oil’s anti-inflammatory benefits to soothe your skin.
Where does Lavender Essential Oil come from?
With a history dating back some 2500 years in the Mediterranean, Middle East and India, lavender oil is a shining star among Essential Oils. The flower also served a few key purposes in Ancient Rome.
History of Lavender Essential Oil
- Ancient origins: Deriving from the Latin word ‘lavare’, meaning ‘to wash’, lavender was an important part of Ancient Roman bathing rituals thanks to its potent antibacterial properties.
- A happy accident: The power of lavender oil was initially discovered by René-Maurice Gattefossé. After an explosion in his laboratory he plunged his burning hand into the nearest container of liquid, which happened to be lavender oil. Gattefossé noted how quickly the pain subsided and how his hand healed with little scarring. He went on to devote his life to the study of Lavender Essential Oil.
- A soldier’s secret weapon: During World War I, many soldiers carried lavender oil in their first aid kits, using it on the battlefield for its healing and antiseptic properties.
Facts about Lavender Essential Oil
- A rare commodity: Yield is highly dependent upon good weather conditions.
- Blue gold: Sought after by the world’s greatest parfumeries, Lavender Oil is nicknamed ‘blue gold’: a nod to its treasured place in French culture.
- A natural insect repellent: While Lavender Essential Oil is instantly soothing for people, most insects are repelled by the scent; a quick and easy solution to keep those bites at bay!
Renew your skin, health and mind with the uplifting benefits of Lavender Essential Oil.