Juniper Berry Essential Oil
About the plant
|Common Names||Common juniper|
|Latin Name||Juniperus communis|
|Plant Detail||Junipers vary in size and shape from tall trees (20–40 m tall) to columnar or low spreading shrubs. They have needle-like and/or scale-like evergreen leaves. The female seed cones are very distinctive, looking like berries (4–27 mm long); they are mature generally after two years and have a blue/purple color in most species, but can be red-brown or orange in some species|
About the Juniper Berry Essential Oil
|Inci Name||JUNIPERUS COMMUNIS FRUIT OIL|
|Essential Oil Name||Juniper berry essential oil|
|Part Used||Berries and branches|
|Scent||Woody, Sweet, Fresh, Crisp|
|Extraction Method||Steam Distillation|
|Production||500 kilos of berries required for 1L of essential oil*|
*Faucon, M. Traité d’aromathérapie scientifique et médicale : fondements & aide à la prescription. (Sang de la terre, 2015).
Our expert Docteur Françoise Couic Marinier tells you all about essential oils.
Known for its detoxifying, antioxidant and immune-boosting properties, Juniper Berry Essential Oil has been used for medicinal and spiritual purposes since ancient times.
Here’s all you need to know about the use of Juniper Berry Oil in aromatherapy.
Benefits of Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- Promote relaxation: Considered in folklore as a natural anxiety remedy, Juniper Berry Essential Oil is renowned for its positive effects on relaxation responses in the brain.
What is Juniper Berry Essential Oil used for?
- Purify: To leave your complexion deeply cleansed and your pores free from harmful impurities, look to Juniper Berry Oil for the ultimate epidermis purification.
- Heal: Detoxifying and full of antioxidants, Juniper Berry Essential Oil is a natural healer. It works to repair and strengthen the epidermis, allowing it to defend itself from impurities that can damage the skin and cause premature ageing.
- Balance: Juniper Berry Oil helps to regulate hormones and improve skin conditions caused by hormonal imbalances, leaving the skin healthy and more even, as well as less reactive to external aggressors.
Where does Juniper Berry Essential Oil come from?
Juniper is an evergreen shrub that belongs to the pine family and is native to the mountains in North America, Europe and Southwest Asia.
Both the branches and berries of the Juniper plant have been used for medicinal and spiritual purposes. However, the Essential Oil from the berries is of a far superior quality.
History of Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- Greek origins: Juniper was commonly burned in spiritual ceremonies by the Ancient Greeks to combat epidemics.
- Medicinal folklore: Juniper Berry Oil has been traditionally used in ancient medicine by various cultures. The Zuni Indians for example used it to assist in childbirth.
- Ward off evil spirits: Juniper berries have been used since ancient times to expel negative forces and illnesses. They were believed to cleanse and purify the mind, body and spirit.
Facts about Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- The secret ingredient: Juniper berries are responsible for giving gin its distinctive flavour. In fact, the only difference between vodka and gin is the addition of juniper.
- The meaning of a dream: It was said that if you dreamed of gathering juniper berries in winter, you would be prosperous.
- An artistic source: Dr Couic Marinier explains, “Before 1917, Juniper Berries were principally used for the production of crayons”.
Naturally heal and defend your skin, body and mind with Juniper Berry Essential Oil.