Elemi Essential Oil
About the plant
|Latin Name||Canarium luzonicum|
About the Elemi Essential Oil
|Inci Name||CANARIUM COMMUNE GUM OIL|
|Essential Oil Name||Elemi essential oil|
|Extraction Method||Steam distillation|
|Production||Between 110 and 120 ML of elemi essential oil with 1 KG of plant*|
* Franchomme, P. La science des huiles essentielles médicinales. (Guy Trédaniel, 2015).
Our expert Docteur Françoise Couic Marinier tells you all about essential oils.
Soft and fragrant, Elemi Essential Oil is a rejuvenating powerhouse for your body, mind and skin. Here’s all you need to know about this intriguing element in aromatherapy.
Where does Elemi Essential Oil come from?
Native to Asia, South America and the Philippines, the Elemi tree is known locally as ‘Pili’. A tropical plant, it can grow up to 30 metres high and produces a pale-yellow shrub.
Elemi Essential Oil is obtained through a process of steam distillation, extracting this intoxicating oil from the gum of the tree.
History of Elemi Essential Oil
- Ancient Egyptian uses: Elemi Essential Oil was used as a preservative in the Egyptian embalming process, thanks to its antiseptic properties.
- Chinese ceremonies: Documented since the 7th century, Chinese herbalists used Elemi Essential Oil in a variety of religious ceremonies and rituals.
- A soldier’s remedy: In the 17th century, J. J. Wecker, a pioneering physician and practitioner, used Elemi Oil in balms to treat soldiers who had been injured in battle.
Facts about Elemi Essential Oil
- A trusty alternative: The Elemi tree is a part of the same botanical family that produces
Frankincense Oil. To this end, Elemi Essential Oil was sometimes used in place of Frankincense as a less expensive alternative.
- Interesting biology: The tree’s resin solidifies as soon as it comes into contact with the air, and the resin stops flowing when the plant starts to lose its leaves.
- The secret ingredient: Elemi Essential Oil is used in the production of a wide range of common household products. It can be found in perfumes, soaps, cosmetics and even some food products, such as soft drinks and alcoholic beverages.
Harness the power of Elemi Essential Oil to rejuvenate your skin, body and health.