Clary Sage Essential Oil
About the plant
|Common Names||Clary sage|
|Latin Name||Salvia sclarea|
|Plant Detail||The height of the plant is around 40 to 100 cm. The blooming takes place in June. The origin of the plant is from Europe and Western Asia. The clary sage is resowed spontaneously.|
|Native Region||Europe and Western Asia|
About the Clary Sage Essential Oil
|Inci Name||SALVIA SCLAREA OIL / SALVIA SCLAREA FLOWER OIL|
|Essential Oil Name||Clary sage essential oil|
|Origin||UKRAINE / FRANCE|
|Part Used||Aerial parts (Plant, Flower)|
|Extraction Method||Steam distillation|
|Production||800g of plants for 10mL of clary sage essential oil|
Our expert Docteur Françoise Couic Marinier tells you all about essential oils.
With a long history as a medicinal herb, Clary Sage Essential Oil is considered by many to be one of the most useful ingredients in aromatherapy.
Whether it’s for your mind, health or skin, here’s all you need to know about how beneficial Clary Sage Oil can be when adopted in your daily rituals.
What is Clary Sage Essential Oil used for?
- Soothe: Clary Sage Essential Oil contains an ester called linalyl acetate. Essentially, this powerful compound works to reduce skin inflammation, heal the epidermis and soothe skin.
- Balance: Clary Sage Essential Oil is renowned for its ability to balance hormones. This can help to ensure that just the right amount of oil is produced in the epidermis to keep your complexion optimally nourished without going overboard!
Dr Couic Marinier explains, “Clary Sage Oil regulates the secretion of sebum to reduce the probability of breakouts, acne and oily skin”.
Where does Clary Sage Essential Oil come from?
Native to southern Europe, Clary Sage Oil derives from a stout biennial herb that can grow up to 1 metre tall. It has large leaves and small, blue-white flowers.
Clary Sage Essential Oil is extracted through a process of steam distillation, using the flowering tops and leaves.
History of Clary Sage Essential Oil
- The Eye of Christ: In the Middle Ages, Clary Sage Essential Oil was known as the ‘Eye of Christ’, and was considered a magical, cure-all treatment.
- An eye-opening oil: Historically, the seeds of the Clary Sage plant were renowned for their ability to contribute to eye health and vision.
- It’s all in a name: Clary Sage derives from the Greek word ‘skeria’, meaning ‘hardness’. This denotes the hard areas of the flower petals.
Facts about Clary Sage Essential Oil
- The woman’s oil: For centuries, Clary Sage Essential Oil has been revered for its benefits to women’s health.
Dr Couic Marinier says, “Clary Sage Oil is estrogenic and can have significant effects on female hormones, especially in relation to menstruation and the menopause”.
- The secret ingredient: Clary Sage seeds are known among Germans as ‘Muscatel Sage’, as they act as a flavour enhancer for Muscatel wine.
- An arousing oil: Clary Sage Essential Oil is known for its capabilities as an aphrodisiac to stimulate sexual energy.
Enlighten your daily rituals to the rewards of Clary Sage Oil and transform your skin, mind and health.