Chamomile Essential Oil
About the plant
|Common Names||Chamomile (or Camomile), Roman chamomile, English chamomile, Garden chamomile, Ground apple, Low chamomile, Mother's daisy, Whig plant.|
|Latin Name||Chamaemelum nobile, Anthemis nobilis|
|Plant Detail||The plant measures 10-30 cm height. Do not confuse with German chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla L.) smaller and known to be rich in azulene and chamazulene, giving a special blue color to the Essential Oil.|
About the Chamomile Essential Oil
|Inci Name||ANTHEMIS NOBILIS FLOWER OIL|
|Scent||Sweet, Crisp, Fruity, Herbaceous|
|Extraction Method||Steam distillation|
|Production||4 to 10 ML of chamomile essential oil with 1 KG of fresh material
8 to 15 ML of chamomile essential oil with 1 KG of dry material*
*Franchomme, P. La science des huiles essentielles médicinales. (Guy Trédaniel, 2015).
Our expert Docteur Françoise Couic Marinier tells you all about essential oils.
As one of the most ancient medicinal herbs known to mankind, Chamomile Essential Oil has been developed over centuries thanks to its multitude of benefits.
Here’s all you need to know about Chamomile Oil in aromatherapy so that you can include its healing rewards in your daily ritual.
Benefits of Chamomile Essential Oil
- Calming properties: According to Dr Couic Marinier, “The main benefits of Chamomile Oil concern the nervous system in particular, fighting anxiety and depression”. Its calming compounds serve as an emotional trigger to help reduce anxiety, boost mood and eliminate stress.
- Helps you fall asleep: Chamomile Oil has been used over the years as a natural remedy to to help you fall asleep thanks to its soothing and calming benefits.
Dr Couic Marinier adds; “Chamomile Essential Oil’s sedative properties have been proved in multiple studies, particularly in palliative care”.
What is Chamomile Essential Oil used for?
- Soothe: Comprising powerful anti-inflammatory and calming properties, Chamomile Essential Oil is a wonder ingredient to help soothe your complexion. Whether it’s irritation, breakouts or any other skin concerns, Chamomile Oil is a great natural remedy to calm your skin and reignite your radiance.
- Detox: Potent antioxidant elements combined with its ability to flush out toxins and trigger circulation make Chamomile Oil an essential in your skin detox. Ridding your skin and body from these harmful elements can reduce blemishes and hyperpigmentation, providing your complexion with the optimal environment in which to thrive.
Where does Chamomile Essential Oil come from?
Native to South and West Europe as well as North America, this aromatic perennial plant grows with strong roots, creeping flowers and abundant leaves.
Chamomile Essential Oil is extracted from the plant’s beautifully delicate yellow and white flowers through a process of steam distillation.
History of Chamomile Essential Oil
- A sunny oil: In ancient Egypt, Chamomile Oil was said to symbolise the sun and was dedicated to the God, Ra, due to its purported healing properties.
- An intoxicating aroma: During the Middle Ages, the Chamomile plant was often strewn across the floor at public gatherings and celebrations. When walked upon, the Chamomile Essential Oil sacs released their beautiful famed fragrance into the air.
- The oil of the afterlife: In Egypt, Chamomile Oil was used to embalm the dead alongside Sandalwood Oil.
Facts about Chamomile Essential Oil
- A Greek name: ‘Chamomile’ takes its name from the Greek, meaning ‘apple of the ground’. Dr Couic Marinier further explains, “this derives from the intoxicating scent similar to apple that emerges from the soil when you walk on the Chamomile plant”.
- Family resemblance: The Chamomile plant belongs to the daisy family. In fact, to look at, you could easily mistake it for its sister flower.
- Highly potent: Chamomile Essential Oil is so special thanks to its extraordinarily high ester count, sitting at around 80%, much higher than most other Essential Oils. This means that Chamomile Oil is highly soluble and can have far more powerful effects.
Reap the rewards of Chamomile Essential Oil by integrating it into your daily routines and help to rejuvenate your mind, body and skin.