Black pepper Essential Oil
About the plant
|Common Names||Black pepper|
|Latin Name||Piper nigrum|
|Plant Detail||There are 700 hundred different species of pepper in the world. The plant can reach 10 meters high. The flowers produce berries that are the fruits. The plant can provide around 5 kilos of fruit each year.|
About the Black pepper Essential Oil
|Inci Name||PIPER NIGRUM FRUIT OIL|
|Essential Oil Name||Black pepper essential oil|
|Scent||Spicy, hot, bracing|
|Extraction Method||Steam distillation|
Our expert Docteur Françoise Couic Marinier tells you all about essential oils.
Although Black Pepper itself is frequently used in everyday life, the benefits of Black Pepper Essential Oil are not so widely known.
Long realised for its medicinal value, Black Essential Oil in aromatherapy can have a powerful impact on the skin, mind and body. Here’s all you need to know about this potent ingredient.
Where does Black Pepper Essential Oil come from?
Originating in India, China and Madagascar, Black Pepper has been used for centuries in ancient medicine.
Black Pepper Essential Oil is steam distilled from the crushed fruit of the pepper vine and today is mostly produced in Singapore, India and Malaysia.
History of Black Pepper Essential Oil
- The seal of approval: Hippocrates enthusiastically wrote of the virtues of Black Pepper Essential Oil as a medicinal ingredient over its use as a spice.
- A powerful pepper: In Ancient Greece, black pepper quickly became a symbol of power and affluence. Not only used as a currency, it was also used to gain political leverage.
- An oil to fight for: In the Middle Ages, cities such as Florence and Venice owed their economic success to the trading of black pepper. In fact, the spice became so sought-after that wars broke out to seek to control its supply.
Facts about Black Pepper Essential Oil
- Black Gold: According to Dr Couic Marinier, “Black Pepper Oil has been nicknamed, ‘black gold’”. In Ancient Roman times, single peppercorns were used as a means of paying rent, dowries and taxes.
- Weight loss: Black Pepper Essential Oil has been shown to aid weight loss, as the peppercorn’s outer layer contains a compound that triggers fat cell breakdown.
- A stimulating remedy: Thanks to its ability to stimulate and boost pigment production, Black Pepper Oil is often used to effectively treat the skin condition Vitiligo.
Indulge your daily rituals with Black Pepper Essential Oil, and revel in the myriad of benefits it can give your mind, body and health.