About the plant
|Common Names||Damask rose, Rose of Castile|
|Latin Name||Rosa damascena|
|Plant Detail||The plant, a hybrid derived from Rosa gallica, Rosa moschatais and Rosa fedtschenkoana, is a shrub that can reach 1-meter high.|
About the Rose Essential Oil
|Inci Name||ROSA DAMANESCA FLOWER OIL|
|Essential Oil Name||Damask rose essential oil|
|Origin||Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran|
|Scent||Sensual, opulent||Part Used||Leaves|
|Extraction Method||Steam distillation|
|Production||1L of Rose essential oil requires 5 tons of rose petals|
Our expert Docteur Françoise Couic Marinier tells you all about essential oils.
The rose is widely considered the most beautiful flower in the world; however, it’s not only its physical beauty and fragrant aroma that’s enticing. The Essential Oil it produces has a myriad of benefits for the body and mind, and has been used in aromatherapy for thousands of years.
Here’s your complete guide to Rose Essential Oil.
Benefits of Rose Essential Oil
- Antioxidant: Rose Essential Oil is full of antioxidants. Antioxidants help to detox your body and skin and promote healthy living.
- Antimicrobial: The citral compound found in Rose Essential Oil is knownto have antimicrobial properties. When applied topically, it can help to purify the complexion and boost skin health.
- Boost your mood: Some people find the soothing properties of Rose to calm their mood and relax stress levels.
- Relax your muscles: One of the main benefits of Rose Essential Oil is that it can effectively relax the body, relieving spasms, as well as muscular spasms.
- Balances hormones: Rose Essential Oil has been shown to regulate hormone production and maintain balanced levels.
What is Rose Essential Oil used for?
- Calming: With its potent composition of anti-inflammatory elements, Rose Essential Oil is the ideal ingredient to harness your glow. Use topically to help reduce the appearance of redness and puffiness.
- Anti-ageing: With its ability to help heal and protect the surface of the skin, rose oil is a great ingredient to promote a youthful complexion.
- Moisturising: Rose Oil has deeply nourishing properties that can help propel your skin to the picture of health. Replenishing your skin with this Essential Oil can help to leave your complexion appearing bouncier, brighter and more luminous.
Don’t forget to lock in moisture with an Essential Oil such as Marjoram Oil
Where does Rose Essential Oil come from?
Rose Essential Oil has been used in beauty treatments and to treat health conditions for thousands of years. The rose itself, according to fossil evidence, is around 35 million years old, and its 150 species are thought to originate from throughout the Northern Hemisphere; from Alaska to Mexico and even northern Africa.
History of Rose Essential Oil
- A worldwide phenomenon: Fossils have shown that the rose originated in Central Asia around 35 million years ago. Thanks to its unique beauty and scent, it was adopted by early civilizations such as the Chinese, Egyptians and Romans, who grew the rose widely as long as 5000 years ago.
- The rose takeover: The gardeners of the Han dynasty were so obsessed with the beauty of the rose that their parks threatened to engulf the land that was required for farming.
- The ‘wonder’ oil: The Incas adopted Rose Essential Oil in a variety of ways, using it as a cure-all remedy.
Facts about Rose Essential Oil
A careful process: Producing Rose Essential Oil is highly intricate. Harvesting the flowers is done by hand and before sunrise. The distillation process must take place the very same day to ensure that the infamous fragrance of the rose is locked in.
Do more than just appreciate the beauty and sweet aroma of this flower; incorporate this Rose Essential Oil into your daily rituals.