About the plant
|Common Names||Lemon tree|
|Latin Name||Citrus ×limon|
|Plant Detail||The lemon tree is 5 or 10 meters high. The fruit is about 8-12 cm. The harvest season takes place in the summer for the fruit and in the winter for the essential oil and juice.|
About the Lemon Essential Oil
|Inci Name||CITRUS LIMON PEEL OIL|
|Essential Oil Name||Lemon essential oil|
|Origin||Argentina, Spain, Italy|
|Scent||citrus, astringent, fresh|
|Extraction Method||Cold expression of fresh peel|
|Production||3000 fruits are required to get 1L of essential oil|
Our expert Docteur Françoise Couic Marinier tells you all about essential oils.
It’s commonly used in our everyday lives, but we bet you don’t know all the incredible benefits that Lemon Essential Oil has to offer for your mind and body. From its antiseptic properties to calming powers, here’s what you need to know about lemon oil in aromatherapy.
Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil is believed to be a natural remedy for calming the stomach.
- Purify the body: Thanks to its antimicrobial properties, Lemon Essential Oil can have a purifying, cleansing and protective effect on the body. Lemon Oil helps defend from free radicals as well as stimulating lymphatic drainage to help detoxify.
- Not only does lemon oil help your body rid itself of harmful pathogens, but it also works to help improve the immune system. Thanks to its high vitamin C content, Lemon oil strengthens your body’s ability to fight off disease.
- Relieve stress: Lemon Essential Oil can have very soothing properties, acting as an effective remedy for feelings of stress and nerves.
What is Lemon Essential Oil used for?
- Energise: Rich in antioxidants, Lemon Essential Oil is the ultimate element to help give your skin that re-energising boost. As a detoxifier, Lemon Oil can restore lacklustre skin to leave it looking rejuvenated and youthful – an essential weapon in your anti-ageing arsenal.
- Nourish: Little known, Lemon Oil has strong hydrating properties and can help to nourish damaged skin to renew your complexion’s radiance.
- Restore: With its antiseptic properties, Lemon Essential Oil helps to restore the skin’s natural balance and reduce excess sebum.
Furthermore, Lemon Oil has beneficial effects on skin that suffers from breakouts as it helps to purify and cleanse the epidermis. If you’re really looking to fight against breakouts, then check out Lavender Oil [link to Decléor lavendar oil article when online] to deeply cleanse your complexion.
Where does Lemon Essential Oil come from?
Originating in Asia, the lemon was known as the ‘fruit of health’ and was used not only by ancient Indians but also Egyptians and Romans to treat infectious diseases. Fast forward to today and Lemon Essential Oil continues to tick many medicinal boxes.
History of Lemon Essential Oil
- A quick fix: In the 14th century, English sailors in the Royal Navy discovered that drinking lemon juice every day helped to prevent scurvy, aching joints and other common ailments.
- A misnomer: According to Dr Couic Marinier, “although we talk of lemon ‘Essential Oil’, in reality, it is actually an ‘essence’”. Essences can often be referred to as Essential Oils. In this case it’s because in order to obtain the Essential Oil we use the express and un-distilled zest, and by distilling the leaves, Lemon Essential Oil can be obtained from the small lemon grain.
Facts about Lemon Essential Oil
- “Liquid Sunshine”: Lemon Essential Oil has earned the nickname ‘Liquid Sunshine’ due to its vibrant yellow colour, refreshing scent, purifying properties and the burst of energy that lemon oil provides.
- A tricky process: Lemons can’t be picked when they are wet and are usually taken off the tree when they are still green. It’s assumed that the rind will eventually turn its famous vibrant yellow in transit to the Essential Oil production facility.
- A real zinger: In Japan, Lemon Essential Oil is often diffused in banks to reduce worker error thanks to its invigorating and energising effects that have been shown to improve concentration and alertness.
With its enormous benefits outside of the kitchen, adopting Lemon Essential Oil into your daily routine could give your skin, mind and health the boost it needs.