About the plant
|Common Names||Black pepper|
|Latin Name||Piper nigrum|
|Plant Detail||There are 700 hundred different species of pepper in the world. The plant can reach 10 meters high. The flowers produce berries that are the fruits. The plant can provide around 5 kilos of fruit each year.|
About the Black pepper Essential Oil
|Inci Name||PIPER NIGRUM FRUIT OIL|
|Essential Oil Name||Black pepper essential oil|
|Scent||Spicy, hot, bracing|
|Extraction Method||Steam distillation|
Our expert Docteur Françoise Couic Marinier tells you all about essential oils.
Although Black Pepper itself is frequently used in everyday life, the benefits of Black Pepper Essential Oil are not so widely known.
Long realised for its medicinal value, Black Essential Oil in aromatherapy can have a powerful impact on the skin, mind and body. Here’s all you need to know about this potent ingredient.
Benefits of Black Pepper Essential Oil
- Digestive tonic: Black Pepper Essential Oil stimulates the entire digestive system, including the stomach, liver and pancreas to provide remarkable benefits. According to Dr Couic Marinier, “Black Pepper Oil fights against bloating, flatulence, constipation, difficult digestion and lack of appetite”.
- Relieve aches and pains: Black Pepper Oil has warming, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties. Dr Couic Marinier explains, “Black Pepper Essential Oil works to reduce joint and muscular pains and symptoms of arthritis and rheumatism.”
- Anti-viral: Today, some strains of bacteria have evolved to become resistant to medicine, but Black Pepper Oil could be the solution. With remarkable anti-virulence properties, Black Pepper Essential Oil can target these drug-resistant strains of bacteria and inhibit stubborn infection.
- Ease feelings of anxiety: Alongside Ylang Ylang Oil and Rose Oil, Black Pepper Essential Oil has been shown to relieve negative effects and symptoms of anxiety. Furthermore, the emotional benefits of Black Pepper Oil may help to reduce cigarette cravings and reduce levels of stress and anxiety for those quitting smoking.
- Detoxify: According to research, Black Pepper Essential Oil has been shown to have ‘bio-transformative’ effects. It can normalise blood pressure, improve glucose tolerance and boost circulation to flush out toxins and reduce inflammation.
What is Black Pepper Essential Oil used for?
- Purify: Potent anti-bacterial properties make Black Pepper Essential Oil an effective skin-purifier. By eliminating impurities, toxins and bacteria from the surface of the epidermis, pores can breathe again to allow your skin to thrive.
- Anti-ageing: High in antioxidants, Black Pepper Oil fights the free radicals that can harm your skin and cause signs of premature ageing, to leave your skin looking more youthful than ever.Other essential oils which are great for anti-ageing include Frankincense Oil and Lavender Oil.
- Rejuvenate: Black Pepper Essential Oil has been shown to boost circulation and improve blood flow. Through this, toxins and excess fluids are flushed away to reignite your radiance and renew your skin.
Where does Black Pepper Essential Oil come from?
Originating in India, China and Madagascar, Black Pepper has been used for centuries in ancient medicine.
Black Pepper Essential Oil is steam distilled from the crushed fruit of the pepper vine and today is mostly produced in Singapore, India and Malaysia.
History of Black Pepper Essential Oil
- The seal of approval: Hippocrates enthusiastically wrote of the virtues of Black Pepper Essential Oil as a medicinal ingredient over its use as a spice.
- A powerful pepper: In Ancient Greece, black pepper quickly became a symbol of power and affluence. Not only used as a currency, it was also used to gain political leverage.
- An oil to fight for: In the Middle Ages, cities such as Florence and Venice owed their economic success to the trading of black pepper. In fact, the spice became so sought-after that wars broke out to seek to control its supply.
Facts about Black Pepper Essential Oil
- Black Gold: According to Dr Couic Marinier, “Black Pepper Oil has been nicknamed, ‘black gold’”. In Ancient Roman times, single peppercorns were used as a means of paying rent, dowries and taxes.
- Weight loss: Black Pepper Essential Oil has been shown to aid weight loss, as the peppercorn’s outer layer contains a compound that triggers fat cell breakdown.
- A stimulating remedy: Thanks to its ability to stimulate and boost pigment production, Black Pepper Oil is often used to effectively treat the skin condition Vitiligo.
Indulge your daily rituals with Black Pepper Essential Oil, and revel in the myriad of benefits it can give your mind, body and health.